Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tummy Problems = Sleep Problems

Today has been one of the hardest days we have had so far. Last night Avarie woke up sick to her stomach. She was throwing up all night. I think we maybe got 1 hour of sleep over the whole night. I was up more then Craig with her, so he let me sleep a couple of hours this morning and got the other kids off to school, then we switched and he slept a couple of hours because he had to work tonight. I was still so exhausted I called to see if my mom could take the baby, but she had a couple of things going on today and then the next thing I knew my sister was at my door snatching the baby. My mom had called her, I was incredibly grateful. I knew she had things going on today and I probably would not have asked or would have told her no I am ok if she called to ask to take him. She knew me too well for that so she just showed up for him. She kept him until naptime and I was able to get a small nap in. I also had someone from church show up to help clean today. She let me sleep on the couch while she scrubbed my kitchen and bathroom and then quietly slipped out. I am very grateful for all that wonderful help.
The afternoon then went ok, but evening has been another story. Avarie has not felt well all day and then has started throwing up again this evening. I try to give her anti-nausea meds, but she just throws them up. Now its coming out both ends, that makes for a lot of fun. The kids were needing help with their homework and I was trying to help with that and stop and help Avarie. Then when I would be helping with the kids Sawyer now finds it funny to go and pull the blankets off of Avarie or throw toys at her or take things from her. He is only 18 months old and is just going through a very naughty stage. I know it is partly because he is not getting a lot of attention so he is finding things to keep himself busy, unfortunately he thinks bugging Avarie is fun.
Now that I'm writing it all down it doesn't seem so bad, but it was really stressful when it was happening. I'm just glad that I now have everyone in bed. I am just hoping that Avarie will not have a night like last night I don't know if I can survive another one. We are already so tired from the medicine that we have to administer from midnight to 1am and then clean and unhook the line and then administer from 6-7am. Along with nightly diaper changes. This has definitely been the most tiring time home for us. We don't normally have meds that need to be given during the night, especially not ones that take over an hour to administer.
I feel bad but I am actually looking forward to going back to the hospital tomorrow. Then the nurses will take over all the med care and I can just sleep through it. I've gotten use to sleeping at the hospital. And Craig will switch me out Friday night, so I only have to spend one night there and then I will go back Sunday night after superbowl. My mom is going to go up to the hospital on sunday and spend the day with Avarie so that Craig can come home and we can watch Superbowl together. Craig is a huge football fan and the Superbowl is always a big day in our house. But this year his team has made it to the Superbowl and so it is a huge day for us. Go STEELERS! Football is something that we usually enjoy together. Yes I love football too. I haven't watched any this year, but I am looking forward to the Superbowl. Hope its a good one.

1 comments:

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I am glad your sister was able to come and get the baby....hopefully your night was smoother last night...hopefully you can catch up on some sleep.....i know how crazy homework time can be without all the other stuff going on....i can only imagine what it would be trying to help a sick child, and keep a 1 year old from buggin a sister who is not feeling well, etc.