Friday, April 3, 2009

Avarie is Officially a HERO!!!

These are pictures of Avarie playing dressup with her cousin Muirin. They had so much fun together.



After I wrote the post yesterday, I received a call from the Childrens Cancer Association. They are the main cancer group for children in the U.S. They called because our medical staff had nominated Avarie to be one of their 25 Hero's for the year 2009. Medical staff around the country nominate kids that they feel show tremendous strength and bravery through their fight with cancer. It can be any kind of cancer, because there are a lot, some of the names I can't even pronounce. Our staff nominated Avarie and she was choosen to be one of their Hero's. She will have a professional photo shoot, along with our family, and they will choose a picture of her that will go on their website and in their pamphlets for the year. Her story will be told and shared with others to try to help inspire and give strength to other families struggling with cancer. I am so proud of her to be receiving this honor. It is something that she will always be able to look back on and know that it is not just mom saying how strong she is, she is being recognized nationally for her strength and bravery. She truly is a Hero! and not just because mom says so. There will be a big unveiling of the 25 Hero's on September 13th, which is one day before her 5th Birthday. What a great birthday present. There are some other things that come along with it, but I don't know any of the details yet, they are sending the info in the mail. I am just so proud of her. It feels so validating to have her recognized in this way, and to know that other families around the country will be able to look at her and say "If she can survive all of that then so can I!" What a great gift for her to give the World, the gifts of Hope and Faith. Those truly are two of the greatest gifts there are in this world. What more can a mother want from her children. We all hope that they will find a way to make this world a better place. I am so proud to have a child that can and will rise above her challenges and inspire others and help to make someones world a better place. Avarie you are my Hero always, and now you are truly a Hero to the World!

11 comments:

mommyof6 said...

Avarie you're my hero! We love you so much and this nomination only means that others will get to see how truly special we already know you are.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

that is wonderful, and well deserved!!!

K-jo said...

Congrats to Avarie, What a truly amazing girl you are!

j and k said...

What a well deserved award!!!! SHe's our hero-as well as your whole family! Way to go Avarie! What an amazing girl!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Avarie!!!!!I am SO glad that you and your family get some good news once in a while!! SOOOOO deserved!!! I only wish they could have a Hero thing for the parents, because Jenell certainly deserves THAT award too!! You are all hero's to be still standing thru ALL the many trials that you have faced as a family. Avarie, We are all so proud of you. This is so not an easy time in your little life, but you are being SOOO brave. Congratulations!!!!!!! Kisses!!!!

Harries Family said...

Avarie is truly a hero! I always tell people I can't imagine going through what she endures everyday and then to be only 4 years old is just amazing to me. I love her so much and I am so excited that she will be recongized for her strength and willness to fight each day. She must get that from her mom! What a proud momma you must be. I am a proud Auntie!

Northwest Minuteman said...

Avarie inspires us all!!!

auntlinda said...

Jenell, Give me a call with your email address and I will have David Jr help me to email you the pictures that we took yesterday of you and Avarie and 2 of her grandma's. And Congrat's on the nomination, I hope she's in a good mood the day of the photo shoot. Hope she enjoys the little things I picked up for her. Love Aunt Linda

Wilson Family said...

Avarie-
Way to go!! Congrats to you and your family. That is so exciting. Finally some more good news. That is some really great news and we can't wait to see her photo shoot pics.

The Halls said...

that is such an honor! Avarie truly is a hero to so many people!

Super Cooper said...

She will be a wonderful example in perserverance(sp). Lucy really misses her, she was asking me if our family, along with grandma Giles, her Mom and Avarie and your family could all live together.