Thursday, April 9, 2009

Back in the Hospital

Last week when Avarie was finishing chemo and getting discharged from the hospital she was complaining of a lot of stomach pain. We really weren't sure what to make of it at the time, so the Dr's ran some tests on her stools and everything seemed to look OK, they just decided to keep an eye on it. She was still complaining so they decided to have her get an ultra sound to check things out. Her appointment was for Wednesday morning. She made it through the ultra sound, but I suspected that her blood counts might be low because she did not sleep well the night before. I have started to notice a pattern with her sleeping and can tell now when she may need a transfusion, so I took her upstairs to the Dr's office and asked them to run her counts. She ended up needing a red blood transfusion and a platelet transfusion so we spent most of Wednesday at the hospital. It takes several hours for the blood transfusions. We got home around 6pm. Craig and I were exhausted and turned in around 10, only to notice that Avarie appeared to be warm. I was praying quietly to myself why I got the thermometer that there would not be a temperature, but unforunately there was, 102.2. So we had to call the Dr on call and head off to the ER. It takes a while in the ER before they admit her because they want to check everything out and make sure there is not an immediate medical need that needs to be addressed. People with compermised immune systems can turn septic really fast, that means that things become bad really fast. So they check everything out first, everything seemed to be OK, just a fever and belly pain. We finally got up to her room a little before 2am and then had to wait for the Dr on the floor to come by and do an evaluation. We got to sleep about 4am, I AM TIRE TODAY! She has continued to complain a lot about her tummy pain and it is always in the same spot. The ultra sound did not show anything alarming that would account for her pain, so the Dr decided to do a CT. Craig is with her tonight and went to the CT with her. He called me just a little while ago and the CT showed an enlarged bowel. I don't really know what this means yet. Oh yeah she has C DIF again, and they mentioned that that could be related to the enlarged bowel. C DIF is basicly a bacteria that is very contagious and runs throughout the hopsitals, it causes lots of diahrrea. I don't fully understand all of this, I am planning on going back in the morning and I will get some more answers then. I know that they are concerned about a possible hole forming in the bowel and they are also going to keep a much closer eye on her vitals. She is continuing to run a fever and I don't know if it is related to any of this or not. I have lots of questions and not a lot of answers yet. I will hopefully have some more answers tomorrow. We are making plans to spend Easter in the hospital. Unfortunately not the first holiday that we have had to spend in the hospital. I guess its a good thing I didn't buy Easter clothes for the kids. Although I am hoping to find some good deals on some clearanced ones after Easter because Avarie loves dresses, she use to live in them and she has started wanting to put them on again, so I'm hoping to find some good sales so I can restock her closet, she deserves it after all of this.

2 comments:

Faye said...

BLESS YOUR HEART.YOU ALL ARE IN OUR HEART AND PRAYERS.SENDING YOU LOTS OF HUGS!

Breanna said...

I am so sorry about this news.
I hope you can get all of your questions and concerns answered and that both you and Avarie can continue to be strong. We continue to hold you and your family in our hearts and will certainly be thinking and praying for you this holiday.