Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 10 Post Transplant

The weekend went by with little to report. Today though we have had a few possible changes. Avarie's blood counts have started to come back. It could be a fluke, so we will have to watch the next few days to see for sure. Unfortunately it is possible a bad thing to see her counts coming back already. Really we should not see anything for several more days, but over the weekend her counts seemed to stabalize and then today they have started to go up a little. Like her platelets went from 23 to 34 and her white count went from .3 to .5. Its not a lot but she should not be producing any blood products, her bone marrow should not be able to do that quite yet. Its possible that it all just engrafted really fast, but there are also a whole bunch of other possibilities. Like her bone marrow might be growing back and it so all of this would have been for nothing. We would have to do it all over again. Or its possible that her marrow and the donor marrow will both regrow and then there will be a war going on inside her marrow with them both fighting eachother, but her marrow will be stronger and most likely win. Either one of those cases is frustrating and not what we want to happen. It is possible that the new marrow is engrafting, but I'm not so sure and the Dr's just aren't sure either. They won't commit or say too much either way. They just keep saying we'll have to just wait and see. The protocol for her is to do a test at day 28 and see which marrow is actually growing, thats 2 weeks away. But if her counts start coming back really strongly I suspect they may do the test sooner. So until then we will just be watching her counts each day very closely and we will just have to take this on a day by day basis. I just wish I could get the Dr's to be a little more straight with me and not just give me the run around with the we just don't know. I know that they don't know, but tell me what you think might be happening. They are supposedly experts in this, I want to know what they think is happening.

4 comments:

K-jo said...

That must be so frustrating; I hope and pray that you have some answers soon! Avarie is a truly beautiful princess she will pull through this that she seems to prove time and time again! You are all unbelievably amazing! Hugs, Hope, Faith and Prayers!

Faye said...

I know this is so hard for you all. Not knowing, no answers,I will be praying for answers!I pray for your faith and strength! I will be checking for updates! Sending you all hugs! Love, Faye

Unknown said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping that it's just the new marrow taking hold early! Take care.

Faye said...

My sweet Avarie, I just wanted you to know I have started a prayer chain for you and your family! The Lord has laied you on my heart so heavy. I know prayer works.I will check for updates! If you all get a chance, check out my blog today! Love you all, Faye