Saturday, July 25, 2009

First Week Home!!!

Sorry we haven't updated at all this week. It has been a long and busy week home. Its always stressful trying to readjust to be home together. I wish I could say it was going smoother, but oh well, we'll survive it I'm sure.
Avarie has been having a great time. This week has been filled with riding our bikes in the evening so that she doesn't get too much sun exposure. Any little bit of sunburn could cause Graft vs. Host to act up. We went out back into our kiddy pool the one day with her lathered up in SPF 50 and she still looked pink to me after only 30 minutes. She didn't burn, but the meds she's on make her more suseptible to the sun. So we try not to take her out during the middle of the day when the sun is hottest. She had a lot of fun in that pool though. She can't actually get in it, but we put a little chair in the pool and let her play that way, it was fun until the baby picked up the hose and got her. She was done after that. The kids have also been building forts. The other day they built a fort that took up the entire front room. They even built a kitchen and took food out of my cupboards for their kitchen. That fort took a long time to clean up, but they had fun in it for almost a whole afternoon. Totally worth the clean up!
We even took Avarie to her cousin Lucy's party for a little bit. She wore a mask and it was outside and we were extremely cautious, but she was in heaven being able to be out of the house and be part of an event. She was in such a good mood about it she did the most amazing thing. She wanted to walk, so I helped her out of her wheel chair and started helping her walk. I realized that she was pretty stable on her feet, so I gradually let go and she took almost two whole steps with out any assistance. She then stood in the middle of the backyard for over a minute with out anyone touching her. She was so proud of herself and we were all so excited. It has been almost a year since she has walked or stood on her own. It was amazing. It helped build her confidence for trying it more, unfortunately we came home from the party and did another late evening bike ride. She wasn't looking where she was going and crashed into me as I was walking along side her. She hurt her ankle and has refused to use it since then, that was two nights ago. Hopefully it will feel better in a day or so and we can then start pushing for her to do it more.
Avarie's next big thing is happening this next Wednesday when she goes in for a bone marrow biopsy. It will determine which bone marrow she has, hers or the donors. She has had hardly any Graft vs. Host which we would have expected her to have more of considering it was an unrelated donor. So we're not sure what we'll find when we go in. We're hoping for the best and that she just got really lucky and has just done really well with the transplant, but its possible we may get in there and find out that its her marrow and the transplant didn't work and her marrow grew back. We haven't discussed the options if that is the case, we'll wait and see if we have to.







2 comments:

pistolgirl12 said...

Avarie,

I am so proud of you! I can't believe I missed it! LOL! I love you lots! Keep up the good work!

Nicole

Joel and Kristie said...

I'm so happy that she is home and you get to be a family again! I'm sorry she crashed and hurt her ankle, but hopefully she'll want to try to walk again. Let me know if you need anything, do you have my phone # is you need to vent? Or I can call you, just email me your # wedigkris@yahoo.com. I'm still praying that everything is good news from here on out!!!