Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 15

Today was a Chemo Day. She also had another bone marrow biopsy done. We'll get those results on Friday. We would normally get the results on Monday, that is our normal check up day, but Avarie's counts are getting pretty low and they want to do a recheck on Friday instead of waiting until Monday. The chemo kills off your blood cells, and since she just got chemo today her numbers will continue to really drop this next week on top of them already being pretty low.
They also want to see her again on Friday because they have been noticing a trend in her blood work. For some reason, and they don't know why, her liver enzymes and bilirubin levels are rising every time they do her blood work. They are not so high as to warrant immediate action, but they are definitely high and have been getting higher each time they draw blood. They said that later in in chemo there are some meds that can make the liver angry and raise levels a little, but she hasn't had those drugs yet. So they're not sure what to make it yet. They think it will correct itself her pretty soon, but since they don't know what is causing it they can't say that for sure. So just more monitoring is required for now.
Avarie is definitely now into the numbers where infection is probable and we need to be very careful with her. Of course Halloween is only a little over a week away. I have some different ideas for her for trick or treating, like maybe we put her in a stroller and take her just up and down our street and I go to the house and knock for her and get the candy for her. That way she is not touching anyone or anything, but she still gets to be outside trick or treating. She does not feel well at all so I can't imagine that she will want to trick or treat for very long. She may not feel up to even doing that. Maybe her sister and brother will just have to try to get enough to share with her.
Yesterday Avarie got 4 of the cutest hats in the world. Someone from our church asked her sister in law to make them for her. Honestly I can not do them justice to describe them so I am going to post pictures of them. I can't post the pictures right now, so I'll add them on later, but trust me they are so so so so cute. Thank you Sister Hawkins. Avarie wore the blue one to her chemo appointment today.
The reason I can't put the pictures on right now is I have a group of, well there is no other way to say it, a of angels in my home right now cleaning my house and carpets. They broke in to my house while we were at chemo this morning and have been working hard ever since. Well technically they didn't break in, because our neighbor has a key and she orchestrated this whole thing. I am so touched by all of the care and help people have given to us. They do it simply because they care. That is an amazing feeling to feel cared for and loved. Thank You!
I have talked with many people who have been following and reading this blog and I am so grateful that people care enough about us to check up on us and follow our struggle. I wanted anyone and everyone that is reading this to know that if you want to you are all welcome to post a comment. You just click on the comment button at the end of this post and write anything you want. I can't remember if there are restrictions on who can post a comment or not, I'll have to check with my little brother, he knows all that stuff. But please feel free to write anything you want to us, I check the blog often and I love reading comments and questions. You can also ask any question you want and I will answer it on the blog. Honestly I am so open about all of this, if anyone wants to know anything please ask, I am not offended or shy about anything. Sometimes to a fault, but oh well I like being an open person. So please feel free to comment to us anytime.
Oh, one more thing. Next Saturday on November 1 my family is organizing a large garage sale/fundraiser. It is being held at a grange over by Costco. I will have to get an address, I just know its over there some where. If there is anyone that has anything they would like to donate my family is organizing trucks to come and pick it up, or if you are able to drop off that would be great also. They will start setting up on Halloween day, so people can drop off anytime that day or even on Saturday. If you don't have anything to donate that is fine, just come and check it out and see if there is anything you would like to buy. We have about 7 wards that we are hoping to get donations from so far and many friends and family. Please call me if you have anything that you would like to be picked up (360) 723-0787 or post it to my blog. We are trying to raise money to have a manufactured home moved on to my parents property. It will help us financially to reduce our bills each month, but it will also give our whole family a lot more security for the times when I have to be in the hospital with Avarie or at her many, many doctor appointments. The kids can then be in their own beds and come and go from school like normal and not have to plan every detail. Right now it is so difficult trying to figure out someone to watch the baby, and then get the kids off to school and be here when Carter gets out of Kindergarten only a couple hours later and then Addisen a couple of hours after that. We are having to figure that out at least twice a week and now maybe three days a week. If we go into the hospital at all then it would be every day. It is really hard to shift the kids around all the time from person to person. We are hoping to raise enough money to buy the manufactured home and have it moved so that we don't have to do that anymore. This is going to be a long struggle for our family and we are trying to figure out ways to make it easier on the kids and ourselves. So any help that anyone can offer would be great, like if anyone knows anyone that moves homes, that would be great to get a referral. Thanks.

10 comments:

Jake said...

Let me know if you need help picking things up for the sale.

Jenell said...

Thanks Jake, I didn't know you were following the blog. It's awesome to hear from you.

mommyof6 said...

Just wanted to tell you today Harrison gave the prayer at breakfast and normally gives pretty cute basic prayers for a three year old but today he paused and asked that Avarie would be healthy and would not have to go to the doctors. While all my kids remember to bless her daily, under the ever so watchful eye of Brooklyn who reminds them all before each of their turns, today was Harrison's first time adding in his own blessing for her. I was touched and reminded of having faith like a little child.

Heidi said...

So sorry to hear of your news. Rachelle has told my family. We will keep you all in our prayers.
I will be sending a load with Rachelle of items I would love to
donate for your sale.
We have a family in our ward
(Milwaukie) who has a 5 year old
that has ALL Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. They just found out in Aug.
Here is there blog so you can read
and maybe get in contact with them.
They are a very strong family.
jrandkim.blogspot.com
Take care of yourself.
Love, Heidi (Tucker) McDonald

Heather said...

Im so glad that avarie liked her hats. There are some girls in the Washougal ward that heard about Avarie and our little Sunbeam class and they have decided to make hats for all the Sunbeams so that when Avarie comes back to church we all will be wearing hats in class. Tell Avarie that Sister Hawkins loves her and cant wait to have her back in class.

Goodman Family said...

Jenell,
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet baby girl. You have such a strong spirit. We will keep you in our prayers.

Hugs,
Marykaye

julie! said...

Jenell
We want to send you our love and prayers. We will always remember Avarie from Hartley Park nursery. She is such a special girl (full of spunk too).
We are thinking of you-
Julie Riley

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Giles Family- We want to express our love and please know you will be in every prayer. We almost lost our little daughter and this pulls at my every heart string. You are so strong and brave. When our daughter was sick blogging saved my life and I so loved comments. I am so thankful you are in such a good ward and have so much family nearby. Thinking of you... The Kunz Family

~L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~L said...

Jenell, thank you for keeping the blog updated, there are so many people who care and are praying for your family and thinking of you. We haven't really had a chance to get to know each other at church but I just live around the corner if you ever need anything!

Lyndy Stokes

* Sorry the deleted post was mine, I needed to add my name in