Monday, October 13, 2008

Day 6 Chemo - First Day Home

Today has been a pretty good day for Avarie. She is starting to use her pain meds a little less, which is great. She still hurts some but I think she hates taking the medicine so much that she is willing to deal with the pain.
Avarie has started to understand that her hair is going to fall out and she says that she doesn't want a "boy haircut" or she says she doesn't want to look like daddy. We've talked about all the pretty hats she will get to wear, but it still doesn't make it easy. She's handling it well for now. I worry how she'll react when it actually happens. They say it happens around week 3 of chemo.
We have had so many people ask us how they can help and honestly I just haven't known what to say. My mom called me today with an idea. My parents have heard of people setting up accounts where people can donate to help with costs. I have such a hard time with this because I feel like I am asking for handouts, but this is definitely something that would help. Finances have always been difficult but the added costs of traveling back and forth to Portland and Craig out of work for the last week has definitely put some strain on us. Not to mention trying to eat when your staying at the hospital, that is not cheap. I have also had to give up working for my dad. I usually only get about 5-10 hours a week, but that little bit of extra money helped a lot. There is no way I can do that now. Anyway this is an area that we could use help. So I am sucking up my pride and letting people truly know where they can help if they are willing or able. I am hopefully going tomorrow to set up the account. My dad tried to do it for me today, but they need my info. So I will update with info on that when I get it.
As far as helping with groceries, we are well stocked. I never made it to the grocery store today, but the grocery store came to me. Sister Mattson, from my ward, brought by all those groceries last night, and then Sister Trainer actually went grocery shopping for us today and showed up with even more. We are well stocked and it is just such a relief. I was not looking forward to going to the grocery store. It takes so long and then you have to put it all away. I am still trying to get everything from the hospital put away, along with all of my kids things from staying overnight with both Grandma's. Grandma's have a tendency to spoil, they all came home with more then they left with.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachelle said...

Do you think it would mean anything to Avarie if aunt Rachelle shaved her head? I would even let her do it! I'm not sure if it would help her at all. I know I would look VERY scary, but my hair grows fast and in the grand scheme of things, a few months without hair wont hurt me. Are there any other aunts or friends who are brave enough to join me? Jenell? We can discuss later!

Jenell said...

My hair does not grow fast, so I don't think I will be doing it. Honestly I don't know if it would help her or not. Lets see how she does when the time comes. I'm pretty sure she would enjoy shaving your head. That would be pretty fun for her. But keep in mind before you go through with it, they don't like hats at church.