Wednesday, December 10, 2008

6 Weeks and Counting

We have been here for 6 weeks today. That seems crazy, but its true.
Avarie is slowly improving in some ways and still a big concern to her Dr's in others. Her pain is somewhat better although not completely gone. The Dr's aren't sure if her infection is actually mold now, they thought it might be, but the cultures never grew and so they are also questioning whether it might be Candida. Candida is a yeast infection or thrush, but it can get out of control and invade the whole system. So we are not sure yet which one this is.
Her immune system is gone again. We are expecting it to return this weekend and when it does we are not sure if we will be facing any new infections or if the current fungal infection will be worse or not.
We are getting ready to go downstairs for another CT scan. They want to get a good look at her tummy. She has been throwing up everyday since Friday night and we are not sure why. They want to check out her stomach. She is also having diarrhea which she has been having since the second day we were admitted here, but it has changed some so they are doing some testing on it and trying to figure out what is going on with her GI track.
She is also still running fevers over 104. We have yet to get those to go away. So even though all of those things are still going on Avarie's mood has started to improve. She has started to interact with me more and has even started smiling a little again. She had started smiling that one weekend that we got her on tape and since then she has been grumpy and emotional. She has undergone a lot of testing since then so we are not surprised by the decline in her attitude, but it is nice to see that getting better.
So basically she is looking and some what feeling better even though she still has a lot of things going on medically. We are just kind of waiting a lot of it out.
I can't believe Christmas is only 2 weeks away. We have come up with a plan for Christmas if she is unable to go home for Christmas and honestly I like the plan. I am ok with it if that is how it works out. It will be a memorable Christmas whether spent at home or in the hospital. I use to think that would be the worst thing to spend Christmas here, but now I'm ok with it. I think I am preparing myself because I can't imagine us actually being allowed to go home before then. Its possible, but as each day goes by I am realizing how unlikely that may be.

1 comments:

Maremone said...

I can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm so glad I did.

It's amazing how much strength God gives us to be the parents we need to be for our little ones.

I'm glad Avarie (love the name btw) is feeling better. I hope they find out whats going on with her GI system soon