Sunday, December 14, 2008

Infection Answer

We finally know what the infection is that is causing Avarie so many problems. It is not mold, but it is a fungus. It is one that they had suspected early on Candida, or yeast. Yes a simple case of thrush can be dangerous. Not in a person with a healthy immune system, but someone who does not have the ability to fight an infection or keep an infection under control the fungus can grow rapidly and invade all areas of the body. So far it is only the kidneys that have been infected. At least they are the only organs that are showing positive signs of it. But they are going to do a head CT on Monday to check there too. They have already done abdomen and chest CT's in the last week checking other things, so they have had a pretty good look there but the head hasn't been scanned for a while and last time it was she did have some shrinkage of the brain due to malnutrition. They want to recheck and see if that is correcting itself yet and look for any Candida.
She is also a little jaundice. They think her billirubin levels are up due to her being on the TPN for so long. TPN is the feed that goes into her veins. Its what is giving her nutrition and calories with out actually feeding her through her stomach. And billirubins are produced in your liver and when elevated are what cause jaundice. They would like to reduce her TPN but she just can not tolerate the NG feeds, the feeds that go through her nose to her stomach. It causes her so much gas pain and diarrhea when we try to turn up her NG feeds.
Its hard when there is all this going on and I am at home. I can't ask all my questions and really understand everything that is going on. I have to rely on Craig to fill me in and he tries so hard. But I always have a million more questions then he has answers. I like to fully understand whats going on and I am grateful for the Dr's and nurses that take the time to explain or put up with my questions. Understanding what is happening is what helps keep me sane. The times I feel panic are when no one has any answers or they aren't sure why this is happening and yes that happens a lot but as long as I can understand what they are doing to try to find the answers I am OK.
I was able to take the kids to church today. The last two weekends that I have been home have been filled with sick people. Two weekends ago the kids were all throwing up and this last weekend I wanted too and was having some other flu problems that kept me home. So it was nice to finally be able to go back today. Although they let us out early because it finally started to snow. We didn't get the snow like Portland got. We woke up to nothing and have been just finally getting snow this afternoon. But while we were at church it started coming down really hard and they were worried about us all traveling home if it got worse so they cancelled the rest of classes. Of course as soon as we all started to leave there was nothing the skies were completely clear, but I just looked outside right now and it looks like it is starting again. Craig is going to try to take Avarie out and scoop up some snow for her to hold in her hands. I'll let you all know how that goes. Avarie and her daddy have been having little water tea parties several times a day. It is so cute, I love picturing them sitting there together drinking out of her tiny little porcelain princess tea set.

1 comments:

Super Cooper said...

Im so glad they figured out what the infection is.Hopefuly, things will get better. It was great to see you guys! I was so glad Avarie was alert when we were there, she is such a sweet girl.
Love you guys.