Monday, February 23, 2009

The Great Wall of China




Sawyer and Avarie love each other so much. Sometimes Sawyer tries to love her too much though and we have to pull him off of her.
Sometimes its hard to update this blog. I find myself not wanting to some days. The reason isn't because I don't want to let people know what is going on, its just that sometimes I can write and distance myself from what I am writing. Its more information I am writing, not a personal, painful thing that I am sharing with others. Then there are the days that I can not distance myself from the reality of our situation and I am feeling the reality of Cancer. I don't like to feel it. I try to live with a wall built around me, it allows me to function. It allows me to make medical decisions and to try to understand everything that is going on with my baby. Sometimes the wall slips down and I allow myself those moments to fully take in my baby's situation from a mommy's point of view. But I don't do it very often. I like my wall, it allows me to do everything and know everything that I need to and still be able to take care of my three other children, a home, and a husband. I need to take care of myself better I know, but there will be more time for that later on. So I allow my wall to stay up for now, it is a survival mechanism. When I read over past blogs I realize how much my wall comes across to everyone, but I hope you all know it is my defense mechanism that I need for now. I joke with people that I will go through counseling when this is all done, but the reality is that we are planning on going through family counseling when this is all done for all of us. We will have a lot of healing mentally to do when the physical healing is done.
This all sounds like we're really struggling right now, but the strange thing is we're not, we're actually doing really well right now. Of course that is because we are all just functioning and surviving, but we are surviving. I am amazed at how much we can get through and how this has changed our priorities. Craig and I use to watch the clock for 8pm to put the kids to bed and then it would be our time in the evening. That has changed recently. Now we are doing things with our kids, even if it is watching a movie with them, we are not so concerned with putting them to bed, we actually want to be with them and enjoy them. We still look forward to bed some nights, but a lot of nights we go to bed at the same time and we are grateful for the extra sleep. I have never been a go to sleep early person, but recently I am in bed by 10pm most nights. My usual bedtime is around midnight. I still wake up several times at night with Avarie, but at least I care more about getting a little more sleep more then I care about spending time alone with out the kids. I value my kids more then I ever have. The cute little things they say and do have a whole new meaning to me.

9 comments:

Jenell said...

We got side tracked making the video when Avarie was asked who her favorite sister is. Avarie wants everyone to know that ADDISEN IS HER FAVORITE SISTER IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!

kristenhcubed said...

Janelle, you are amazing to me. You need to know what an inspiration you are to so many of us. The wall is completely understandable. I hope when this is all over that you'll be able to look back and realize how strong you are. You are a survivor. Thanks for the example. Still praying for Avarie every day...

Faye said...

JANELLE,YOU ARE SUCH AN AWSOM LADY. I ENJOY YOUR BLOG SO MUCH!WE ALL ARE STILL PRAYING HERE IN CANTON GA.MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

mommyof6 said...

Get that finger out of your mouth Ms. Avarie!!!
From your favorite Auntie,right?

Bonnie Tucker said...

Janelle: You are an amazing person with what you and your family are going through right now. I would put up a wall also. Just live each day as it comes and enjoy your family because that is what really matters in the big picture.

Rachelle said...

You are my hero, Jenell! I admire you SO much! I don't think I could handle the same situation nearly as awesomely as you do! Your children are so lucky that they have you as a mom! And I am truly grateful that you are my sis-in-law!

Craigly LaVern, I am so lucky to have you as a big brother! I love you SOOOO much!

And Avarie, I love your video! It's so much fun to see you smile!

Sawyer, Carter, Addisen and Zakk too...love you guys lots!

Colbert Family said...

She's precious!

Breanna said...

Beautiful pictures and video. (It brought me to tears.) Just wanted you to know I continue to regularly read your blog and pray for your wonderful family.

j and k said...

It's ok to allow yourself a little protection. You've been through A LOT! I think you're admired and adored and respected by so many. You have amazing strength and you're doing things that most people will never even comprehend. You're AMAZING!