Saturday, February 28, 2009

Summitsforkids.org

Avarie is still in the hospital with off and on fevers. They did a nose swab on her and found out that she has the Influenza A Virus. There is influenza A and B virus's. So basically she has the flu. Not such a big deal in a normal kid, we all get the flu, but for Avarie it can be a big deal. Especially when her numbers have been dropping from finishing chemo last week. Luckily she has not had any complications from it. I think the worst of the flu hit her while she still had good blood counts so she was able to fight some of it. The fevers just hit when her counts started to drop. And boy did they drop. Her ANC which is the count of her blood cells that immune fighters was at .03 yesterday, 1.5 - 11 is the normal range and anything below .5 is considered severely immune compromised, so .03 is really low. Luckily things are starting to recover a little today and she hasn't had a fever since Thursday night. So we are hopeful that she will be home tomorrow.
I also wanted to pass along some information on an organization that is doing a Fundraiser for Avarie. They are called Summits For Kids. It is a group of rock climbers that rock climb different mountains and peeks to help raise money for different causes. They have taken on Avarie's cause for their upcoming climb in Arizona on March 9th. They are trying to raise money for her, and have asked that we pass along all of their information and website to anyone that may be interested in helping contribute. Their site is www.summitsforkids.org. Even if you are not able to help if you could pass along the information to others we would be truly grateful. It is so hard to ask for help and believe me I am the queen of not asking, but we find ourselves right now in a position that I don't know what else to do. So we are asking for your help, please check out this amazing group and pass along the info to any that you can. Thanks!

4 comments:

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I have been thinking about Avarie....and you a lot this week, as i have had sick kids....just typical colds, or possibly the flu virus....anyway, Kayleigh has come down with a fever, and i thought of you guys needing to go into the hospital whenever a fever is there....you guys are in our thoughts and prayers!

Faye said...

WE ARE ALL PRAYING FOR AVARIE HERE IN CANTON GA.MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL. I SENDING YOU HUGS!!!!!!

j and k said...

I would love to help. I've been thinking also about doing a fundraiser through California PIzza Kitchen. I thought they could help you guys out, can I get your email address so I can talk with you more specifically? My prayers are with you guys! Email me at kimujifusa@yahoo.com if you can, though I know you're busy so no pressure.

Jason said...

HI Giles family,

I wanted to thank you again for allowing me to visit with you last Friday. I wanted to let you know that I have posted a link to the Summit For Kids web site on the Portland Sentinel blog (www.portlandsentinel.com) and also to let you know that a picture of Avarie, Sawyer and Craig are in this month's issue of the Sentinel. I'll keep up with how Avarie is doing with her blog. Please don't hesitate to contact me any time if there is anything I can do to help. I hope the good days continue.

Best -- Jason