Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hospital Mess Up

We had expected to get the biopsy results today from the nodule they removed last week, but when our Dr called to get them they did not know what she was talking about. They had never received any material to analyze. The "microsomething" department had gotten samples but some how Pathology never got any. My Dr was livid, it helps that she is the medical director of the Oncology and Hematology Department, so she carries a lot of weight around here. So they have started a full scale review of the departments to find the breakdown. I guess I'm too laid back about it, I just fell like "Darn, lets just do it again" I mean everyone makes mistakes. I hope they fix whatever went wrong, but I don't want anyone to lose their job or anything. But it seems to be a really big deal because I have overheard two conversations about it from Dr's and Nurses that I don't even know. So they had to re biopsy today another nodule. The Surgeon then hand walked it over to Pathology himself I am told.
She continues to get better and better. Her skin is clearing up for the most part. There is still the e-coli sight that is oozing, but is looking a little better and the redness on her back is almost gone. The soars all over seem to be healing and some of the nodules have disappeared, but there have been several new nodules that have just popped up yesterday and today. So hopefully this time we will get some answers on all of that. The only really bad lingering thing is the fevers. She continues to run fevers around 104-105 almost around the clock. The Tylenol breaks them, but they just re popping up.
They gave me some exciting news this morning they want to try to send her home for a couple of days this weekend. We don't know if we'll be able to actually do it, but we're going to try. First we have to get rid of these fevers. She will have to come back on Monday and be readmitted for her bone marrow biopsy and the start of her next dose of chemo. But if everything goes well this week and keeps improving they way it has in the last 5 days then they would really like for her to go home for a couple of days and have a break from the hospital. We will have been here at the hospital for 4 weeks on Wednesday. It feels like we have been here a lot longer and yet 4 weeks is a really long time. We still have a long road to go, so they want to give her a little break to go home and see that she does still have a home to go home to.
I'm not sure how it will work taking her home. She is still on high doses of fentanyl(pain meds). We are going to try to take the dosage down a little tomorrow and see how she does. Also, she does not eat or drink by mouth at all right now. She is being fed completely through her IV into her veins, we completely bi pass her digestive system. So her digestive system is not really functioning right now. Its not like we can just take the IV out and say OK go eat food now. So I'll have to ask the Dr's about some of that tomorrow. But at least there is some hope that we may be able to be home as a family under one roof again, at least for a couple of days. I miss my husband terribly. We just trade posts right now, never spending more then 20 minutes in one room together. Just long enough to give each other the info the other one is going to need to take care of Avarie and then the other one leaves with the other kids in tow. Its just too crazy to try to have all of the kids, mainly just the baby up at the hospital. We visit together for a little bit, but then he always wants to pull cords or push buttons or run out the door as fast as he can every time a nurse opens it. So we try to make the trade kind of quick, but we want Avarie to see her brothers and sister, so we try to let them visit for at least a little bit while one of us runs after the baby. Anyway, my whole point to that rant was to say I am looking forward to actually be able to sit down on the couch next to my husband and just be in the same room for a little while.

2 comments:

Jake said...

That is going to be awesome if Avarie gets to go home for a couple of days.
As always, let me know if I can do anything for you, I am just down the street!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

We will hope and pray that Avarie can spend a couple of days at home....that would be wonderful.
I would think that the IV pic line stuff you can do at home.....I know when I was pregnant, I had a pic line put in.....but, Matthew just had to switch the iv bag every few hours (just a matter of screwing an attachment).....so, i am sure they would teach you how to do that at home.????